WHAT DOES THIS TRANSACTION MEAN TO ME?
- With regulatory approval, Southern States Bank assumed all deposits and purchased substantially all of the assets of Alabama Trust Bank, N.A. on May 18, 2012.
- Alabama Trust Bank, N.A. customer deposit and loan accounts have been automatically transferred to Southern States Bank.
- You do not need to do anything in order to continue banking with Southern States Bank. We are working closely with the FDIC to make this transition as seamless as possible for you. All account numbers will remain the same and you can continue to use your existing checks, ATM/debit cards and online banking/bill pay services. You should also continue to make any regular loan payments.
WHO IS SOUTHERN STATES BANK?
- Known as The Common Sense Bank, Southern States Bank opened in August 2007 with in excess of $31 million in capital. Headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, Southern States Bank has branch locations in Birmingham, Opelika and now, Sylacauga. A banking veteran of 40 years, Mr. Stephen W. Whatley is the founder and serves as the bank’s CEO and President. Mr. Whatley put together a strong management team and there is a Market President in each location. In addition to a diverse and involved Board of Directors, Southern States Bank also has Advisory Boards in each community to help facilitate local decisions and community involvement. Southern States Bank employs seasoned bankers you know and trust and they help carry out the mission of providing you, our customers, with high quality service you expect from your bank.
- Southern States Bank offers the most up-to-date products and services to include; Private Banking, Commercial Lending, Mortgage Lending, Consumer and Retail Lending, SBA Lending, No Fee Checking and Savings accounts, No Fee ATMs, Consumer and Commercial Bill Pay, Debit and Credit Cards, Merchant Services, Remote Deposit Capture, Online Banking and coming soon Mobile Banking.
- Southern States Bank is a safe and sound state-chartered bank that continues to grow with assets currently hovering around $218 million.
- Our Mission: At Southern States Bank it is our mission to provide our customers with an excellent banking experience by engaging in rewarding customer relationships, delivering products and services to meet their needs while enhancing and maintaining shareholder value.
WHY WAS MY BANK CLOSED?
- Alabama Trust Bank, N.A.’s primary regulator determined the bank was unable to continue operating as an independent business entity. At the close of business on May 18, 2012, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) closed Alabama Trust Bank, N.A. and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) was named as Receiver. Simultaneous with the closure, Southern States Bank assumed all deposits and purchased substantially all assets from the FDIC as Receiver.
DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT MY ALABAMA TRUST BANK, N.A. ACCOUNTS?
- You do not need to do anything at this time. You can continue banking exactly as you did as an Alabama Trust Bank, N.A. customer. You can continue to access your money by writing checks, using ATM and debit cards or online banking. Checks drawn on Alabama Trust Bank, N.A. will continue to be accepted. You should continue making your loan payments as usual.
HOW WILL THIS AFFECT MY ALABAMA TRUST BANK, N.A. ACCOUNT(S) AND THE WAY I CONDUCT MY BANKING?
- This transaction will not affect your account(s) or the way you conduct your banking business. Being a part of Southern States Bank means you can expect to have a high level of convenience and customer service unmatched in the market place. Over time, we will communicate any specific information regarding any changes or added features to your account(s).
- If anything does require immediate attention or if anything does change, you will be notified at least 30 days in advance and we will be happy to assist you with any changes that may occur.
WILL MY CHECKING/SAVINGS/CD ACCOUNT(S) NUMBER CHANGE?
- All account numbers will remain the same at this time. We will communicate with you in advance with specific information about any changes or added features to your accounts.
WHAT ABOUT MY DIRECT DEPOSITS AND SOCIAL SECURITY?
- Your current arrangement for Direct Deposit, including Social Security checks, will continue as normal without interruption.
IS MY MONEY SAFE?
- YES! Your deposits with Southern States Bank are safe, sound and readily accessible. All deposit accounts, which include checking, savings, money market, CDs and Retirement accounts, have been transferred to Southern States Bank, regardless of amount.
- All deposits are still FDIC insured. The current FDIC insurance covers interest bearing deposits up to $250,000. All deposits in non-interest bearing transaction accounts are insured in full by the FDIC through December 31, 2012. This is in addition to and separate from the $250,000 coverage available under the FDIC’s general deposit insurance rules.
- Please visit fdic.gov for additional information regarding FDIC insurance.
DO I NEED TO COME INTO THE BRANCH TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL?
- No branch visit is required as your deposits were automatically transferred to Southern States Bank.
WILL THERE BE CHANGES TO MY CD OR IRA?
- We are in the process of evaluating the rates on our interest bearing deposit accounts. If your certificate of deposit rates are affected by a rate change as of the date of the acquisition you will receive Notice in the “Depositor Letter” referenced below advising you of any changes. Please read the document carefully.
- Interest rates and annual percentage yields on checking, savings and money market accounts are subject to change at any time.
- You can withdraw some or all of your funds from your deposit accounts without penalty until you enter into a new deposit agreement with Southern States Bank, provided you are not using your deposits to secure a loan.
- If you currently receive interest payments, those payments will continue without interruption.
WHAT ABOUT MY ONLINE BANKING ACCESS? CAN I CONTINUE TO PAY BILLS ONLINE?
- Yes, please continue to access your online banking and bill paying service through www.alatrust.com. As our banking systems merge, we will provide assistance and advanced notice of any changes to access to your online accounts.
WHAT IF I MAKE MY DEPOSIT THROUGH REMOTE DEPOSIT CAPTURE? CAN I CONTINUE TO USE MY SCANNER?
- Yes, please continue to use your scanner as you normally would. We will communicate with you well in advance about any changes to your Remote Deposit Capture services.
A MERCHANT WILL NOT HONOR MY CHECK. WHAT CAN I DO?
- You can provide a copy of this document or our “Depositor Letter”, which will be mailed to you within 7 business days, since both documents state all deposits have been transferred to Southern States Bank and it is business as usual. Questions from interested parties may call the FDIC at 1-800.405.8124.
WHO WILL SEND MY 1098 AND/OR 1099 INFORMATION AFTER THE END OF THE YEAR?
- Southern States Bank will be responsible for mailing your 1099 and/or 1098 tax information.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE CHECKS WHICH HAVE NOT CLEARED MY ACCOUNT?
- Checks drawn on Alabama Trust Bank. N.A. that did not clear before the end of business on May 18, 2012 will be honored up to your available balance.
CAN I CASH MY INTEREST CHECK OR CASHIER’S CHECK?
- Yes, interest checks and cashier’s checks will continue to clear.
WILL I INCUR AN EARLY WITHDRAWAL PENALTY IF I CLOSE MY CD BEFORE MATURITY?
- No. You may withdraw funds from any transferred account without an early withdrawal penalty until you enter into a new deposit agreement with Southern States Bank, provided it is not used as collateral on a loan. Entering into a new deposit agreement can be done by opening a new CD with Southern States Bank
WILL THERE BE CHANGES RELATED TO MY SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX?
- No. It is business as usual. No action is required as a result of this transaction. You may go to the branch and access your safe deposit box during normal business hours or make an appointment by calling the branch location.
- Your fees will remain the same.
WILL MY PRODUCTS REMAIN THE SAME?
- Your current products and services will remain the same for the time being. As we integrate our systems and review the accounts at both banks, some changes may occur in your accounts. You will be notified at least 30 days in advance of any changes and we will be happy to talk you through any changes that may occur.
ARE THERE ANY CHANGES TO FEES OR CHARGES DUE TO THIS TRANSACTION?
- Not at this time. We will notify you in the event that there are changes to fees.
WHAT ABOUT MY LOAN(S)?
- All loans have been purchased by Southern States Bank and will continued to be serviced as they have been in the past. Your interest rate, payment amount and due date have not changed. You will continue to make payments as you have in the past. If your payment is deducted from a deposit account, like a checking account, it will continue to be deducted as it has in the past. If you make your payments in person or via mail, please make your checks payable to Southern States Bank and send your payments to the same address you have always used.
WILL MY AUTOMATIC TRANSFER STILL OCCUR ON ITS ASSIGNED DATE?
- Yes. You should experience no disruption in this service. We encourage you to check your bank account the day after your scheduled draft to verify the transaction. If the transaction did not occur, please notify us and we will research your account.
WILL CONSTRUCTION DRAWS CONTINUE? WILL MY PROJECT BE COMPLETED?
- Each loan is being reviewed independently and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Please direct your questions to your loan officer.
WILL YOU CONTINUE TO PAY MY ESCROWS?
- All services previously performed related to your loan will continue. Should you receive notification that any portion of your taxes or insurance were not paid, please notify us immediately.
HOW AND WHERE DO I MAKE MY PAYMENTS?
- You should continue to make your payments as agreed. Please make checks payable to Southern States Bank and utilize the same payment address information you have used in the past.
WILL THE HOURS REMAIN THE SAME?
- At this time our hours of operation will remain the same. We will notify you in advance with any changes in hours.
WHAT IF I ALREADY HAVE OTHER DEPOSIT ACCOUNTS WITH SOUTHERN STATES BANK? HOW WILL THAT AFFECT MY FDIC INSURANCE COVERAGE?
- The accounts transferred to Southern States Bank will be separately insured for at least six months after the transition. This grace period gives you the opportunity to restructure the accounts, if necessary. If you are a deposit customer you will receive additional information about insurance on your deposit accounts via U.S. Mail within 7 days of the transaction. Please read the letter and enclosed documents carefully and contact us with additional questions, or go to the FDIC website: fdic.gov.
WHAT IF I HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS?
- If you have more questions about your account(s) or about this transition, simply call your local branch. A bank representative will be there to answer your questions, or you can call us at 256-245-6099 or email us at Info@southernstatesbank.net.
CAN I CLOSE MY ACCOUNT?
- While you have the option to close your account, rest assured that Southern States Bank wants your business and we are willing to work hard to earn it. We have a history of outstanding customer service and superior financial performance. Your money is safe here.